I have a confession to make. I have been cocooning since June to grow and transform into a better version of myself.
The secret to success and outstanding achievement in life isn’t about being a “genius”. It’s about your GRIT or the unique combination of your passion, purpose, and long-term perseverance. According to Dr. Angela Duckworth, the world’s leading expert on grit, GRIT is having PASSION + SUSTAINED PERSEVERANCE when it comes to achieving long-term goals.
”Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear?
- It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.
- It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met.
- And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about JUSTICE, EQUALITY and HUMANITY.
- And so in a real sense, our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.
- Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention”
God reminded me of this scripture last night that I wanted to share with you. “Blessed [spiritually calm with life-joy in God’s favor] are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they will [express His character and] be called the sons of God.” Matthew 5:9 AMP
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.” Proverbs 31:8-9 NLT
Like many of you, I am outraged and emotionally exhausted because of the wrongful race-related deaths (murders) of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery. Not only are many hearts on fire with anger, many businesses are literally on fire all over our nation because black and brown people do not feel seen, heard, understood, valued, cared for OR protected in this country.
This 2020 corona crisis (or any crisis for that matter) presents us with growth opportunities. If we let it. We have the wonderful opportunity to connect with God (read more on that HERE), ourselves (read more on that HERE), and others in ways that can help us grow beyond our current capacity. The question is “Will we capitalize on these opportunities for growth?” Just the other day, I stumbled across Oprah’s Instagram page where her wellness theme for the week was CONNECT. In her post, she asked her followers this question: