🙋🏽♀️I decided to stop trying to control my destiny through my actions. My choices. My decisions. My planning.
Are you a Christian single who struggles with sexual purity? Do you find yourself “falling” into sexual sin repeatedly? Is your mind consumed with thoughts of sexual intimacy with others? Well. You’re not alone in your struggle my friend.
Disappointment. Not a feeling or emotional state any of us want to stay stuck in. Since I’ve been reading Lisa Terkerust’s book “It’s not supposed to be this way“, I’ve been THINKING a lot about my own disappointments in life. And by disappointment, I’m mean a feeling of sadness or loss concerning an outcome that didn’t turn out the way I had expected, anticipated or hoped.
Shame. A silent epidemic. No one wants to acknowledge it. No one wants to speak of it. I get it. But the reality is we’ve all experienced it. Whether we want to admit it or not. Shame is a hard topic to discuss. But if we keep ignoring it in ourselves or others, we’ll never be able to walk confidently in who God has uniquely created us to be.
The Voice of Shame
The voice of shame is cruel, insensitive, demeaning, degrading and destructive. It strips us of hope for a positive future and it poisons our perspective, damages our sense of power and robs us of fulfilling our potential and purpose. Shame deceives us into believing we are inherently bad, unwanted, unlovable, undesirable and unworthy of unconditional love, acceptance, and belonging.
Pain and Pressure
Not too long ago, I was telling a friend how much I had grown over the past 3 years and she wanted to know my secret. So I simply said, “pain and pressure.” I think most of us want to grow personally AND professionally but we wouldn’t dare ask for more pain and pressure to be added to our lives right?
“If you didn’t create yourself, you can’t discover the meaning and purpose for your life by yourself.”
Do you know your God-Given Purpose on Earth?
Knowing why you’ve been created can not be discovered apart from knowing the One who created you. To discover your purpose is to first discover your creator. Only your creator can share the purpose for you–his BEST creation.
Our creator God had a specific purpose in mind for creating you and it’s up to you to not only discover it but willingly surrender to it.
- If I were to ask you if you have a sense of direction and purpose for your life, how would you answer me?
- If I were to ask you if you know what you were created to do on this earth, what would you say?
- How about if I asked you how does your work(job, career, vocation, etc.) align with your God-given purpose?
- And what if I asked you how you’re living out your God-given purpose each day. What would you say?
Your Purpose is found in your Creator
- We are God’s workmanship, His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus to do good works he has prepared in advance for us to do. (Eph 2:10)
- We are a royal priesthood, God’s special possession and because of that, we are to proclaim His goodness in the world. (1 Pt2:9)
- We are Christ’s ambassadors, His chosen ones who are to speak His wonderful message of reconciliation and salvation in this world. (2 Cor. 5:18-20)
- We are created to reconcile unbelievers to God because He’s not willing that any should perish but all come to repentance (2Pt.3:9).
- We have been commissioned to go into all the world as Christ’s witnesses—training up others to be followers of Christ’s teachings. (Mt 28:19).
- We are to share the reason for the hope we have (1 Pt.3:15).
This is why we’ve been created. To be Christ’s witnesses and ambassadors who proclaim good news–the news of Christ’s salvation and gift of eternal life for all who beleive in Him.
Discovering Your Unique Mission
Asking ourselves the Right Question
“How can I BEST love God, myself and others using the unique gifts, talents, passions and interests He has purposely placed inside of me?”
- Side note: Here’s a tool you can use to discover how God divinely designed or shaped you to do good works. You can access it online here or download a pdf of the S.H.A.P.E. test here.
Discover your Divine Design
Pursuing your personal passions and interests can be a good thing to do, but pursuing God’s presence is the greatest thing you can do.
More Self-Discovery Tools and Assessments
If you’d like to know your spiriutal gifts, take the Spiritual Gifts assessment here.