Why is asking for help so hard?
It takes courage and vulnerability to reach out to others and make our needs and requests known. For some of us, asking for help is extremely hard to do because we want to be perceived as strong, competent, capable, and in control. You know, because we want others to perceive us a having it all together. SMH.
As a very independent and self-sufficient woman, I’ve found myself struggling to ask for help from others PLENTY of times. I reasoned I didn’t want to ‘bother’ or burden others with my challenges and needs and so I chose to remain silent. Most times, I would try to do it all and when I couldn’t handle it all anymore, irritability, criticism, and contempt would spill over and onto my loved ones. However, I’m sure that’s never happened to you before. Right?
Asking for help and emotional wellbeing
Over the course of my personal and professional life, I’ve discovered that asking for help GREATLY contributes to my mental health and emotional well-being. But if you’re anything like me, asking for help from others is easier said than done. So many of us as working women, wives and mothers, we find ourselves first attending to the needs of everyone around us that we forget to stop and take inventory of how we are doing and what we need. Because everyone is counting on us, we fail to take care of us. I love the following picture because it says so much.
Brave up. Ask for Help.
Sharing is Caring
- Did you enjoy this post? Please share by clicking the social media share button below 🙂
- Interested in similar topics? Be sure to check out my archives HERE
- Was something I said helpful to you? I’d love to hear about it! Share your story with me HERE
- Want to receive weekly encouragement to spur you on in your life? Be sure to subscribe HERE
- Want to be notified when new content and NEW resources are available? Click HERE