The life hack you need
Have you ever heard the expression “play your life forward”? In other words, playing your life forward is simply imagining how your life will turn out based on your current decision-making. It’s basically having the ability to predict a future life outcome based on the decisions you are currently making today.
If you’re someone who is feeling stuck in a certain area of your life, using this one life hack can be the key you need for getting unstuck and moving forward in life. So why is this visualization strategy so life-changing?
This visualization strategy is insightful and helpful because if you don’t like what you see when you ‘play your life forward‘, you can course correct and start making decisions that will steer you in a direction of your choosing. The goal of ‘playing your life forward’ is to help you peer into your future and critically assess whether your current decisions (or lack thereof) are causing you to stay stuck or get unstuck. Engaging in this mental strategy helps you to evaluate whether you are moving forward in life, or simply standing still.
Here are a few questions to ponder as you begin to play your life forward.
- Are the decisions I’m currently making leading me to a future I desire?
- How has my indecision kept me stuck in a rut or slump?
- Am I currently setting myself up to live an enjoyable life by design, or am I setting myself up to live a miserable life by default?
I am so sure you would NOT willingly decide to drift aimlessly through life and end up at a destination you’d NEVER desire or choose. And I refuse to believe you are someone who wants to live a mediocre life–a life that lacks zest, joy, fun, adventure, purpose, meaning, mission and fulfillment. But this is EXACTLY what happens when you don’t evaluate how your current decisions (or indecision) can keep you from experiencing the abundant life you were created to enjoy.
Playing your life forward will help you to be intentional with this short life God has given you. Do you really want to spend your life drifting in the doldrums, in a vicious cycle of stagnation? I know you want to be a good steward of the time God had gifted you. What you do (and don’t do) with your life matters. Your decisions (or indecision) has eternal implications. Did you know this? Do you believe this? Because the longer you drift, the greater the delay in fulfilling your divine destiny. And the longer you stay adrift of your destiny, the more people will miss out on the blessing of YOU!
Pain and Losses
You know, I wasted so much time in my 20’s and 30’s drifting through life because I failed to play my life forward. As I drifted through decades, I learned the hard way that I not only lost precious time, but I also experienced the pain of:
- Decreased Impact: unable to meet the needs of those I was loved and worked with
- Missed Opportunities: unable to discern which opportunities fit my purpose and life mission
- Lost Time: unable to steward my time toward what mattered most to me
- Unrealized Relationships: unable to build relationships with those I could’ve loved, befriended and served
- Misallocated Resources: unable to allocate my resources to the right paths, purposes, and people
I also discovered an emotional dark side of not playing my life forward. Personally, I experienced feelings of distress, regret, and disappointment. And I was afraid I’d die with unrealized dreams and an unfulfilled purpose. All this emotional distress caused me to be in a slump because I failed to recognize AND own how my decisions were contributing to my current position in life. And in the words of Dr. Suess,
“When you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.”
You can say that again Dr. Suess! And although getting unstuck or un-slumping yourself is not easily done, the truth is IT CAN BE DONE! But you have to decide your life now!
Decide your life NOW
While it’s true you can’t go back and change your past, the good news is you can start down a new path TODAY. Now that you know better, you can do better. It all starts with a decision. A decision to examine your life destination based on your current thinking, decision-making and divine assignment in order to direct your life according to divine revelation.
Have you ever heard the expression “Life is not a dress rehearsal“? You and I have limited time on this earth and we need to make it count. We need to live forward with intention, purpose, and clarity of vision. If you desire to live a life full of purpose, impact, and significance, it’s time to stop drifting through life so you can start designing your life in a way that aligns with your divine destiny. What are your thoughts?
I don’t know about you, but I WANT MY DESTINY! Steer clear of the drift by asking God to show you the life He wants you to live. I can guarantee to you it’s not a life of stagnation. The life He wants you to live is BETTER than you could ever dream of (John 10:10, MSG).
- When you ‘play your life forward‘ based on your current decisions, what relational, emotional, spiritual and professional destinations do you predict you will arrive at?
- What decisions will you start making in order to start living life intentionally by a divinely-inspired design?
- What big decision do you need to make TODAY to start living a healthier, happier, more purpose-driven life?
- Who will you invite into your life to hold you accountable for the action you’ll start taking to begin moving your forward?
Getting unstuck and moving forward in life comes down to the decisions you make. Your destiny and life destinations will be determined by your daily decisions. Decide wisely.
Sharing is Caring
- Did you enjoy this post? Please share by clicking the social media share button below 🙂
- Interested in similar topics? Be sure to check out my archives HERE
- Was something I said helpful to you? I’d love to hear about it! Share your story with me HERE
- Want to receive weekly encouragement to spur you on in your life? Be sure to subscribe HERE
- Want to be notified when new content and NEW resources are available? Click HERE
If you haven’t grabbed my FREE career guide for getting unstuck professionally, grab it HERE
Check out Steps 1 and 2 for how to get yourself unstuck. Or, check out some of this great advice on getting unstuck from licensed marriage and family therapist Erika Boissiere.
If you’re in the mood to hear a great message of HOPE, check out this message “You’re Not Stuck” by Steven Furtick.